Saturday, April 12, 2008

Notes From my Little Friends

While we were in Thailand, we missed our monthly visit to Savva Orphanage. When others from our team visited, they returned with a stack of letters from the children. It is fun to see how much my being there means to the kids and how much they miss me when I am not there. I thought I’d share some excerpts of some of those letters with you.

"I am so glad that I met you. I am happy to write a letter to you. I like you. I wish you could be here with us all the time. I am happy when we are together."

"I like it when you come and celebrate our birthdays. Ken, you are my best friend." Masha

"I love you Ken. You are very funny and the best. I remember when we played soccer together. I look forward to your coming and playing my favorite game with me."

"Remember that I love you so much. I won’t forget you. You are like a father to me and you are special to me." Luba

As many of you know, in order to work in Kazakhstan our company requires us to find financial sponsors. As the economy of Kazakhstan continues to increase, the cost of living has also increased. All utilities and grocery staples have increased 30% or more. As a result, I need to have some more people join me in my work as financial sponsors. I need about $300 more each month in order to continue impacting the lives of these children. This need could be met by finding 12 new sponsors that can donate $24 per month. I also need about $4,000 in one-time sponsorships. Thanks to all of you that have made my first four years in Kazakhstan possible. I can’t imagine doing anything else and am looking forward to my future here.

Note: Contributions to my work can be made online using the donate button on my blog. If you would like information on how to make a donation in a different manner, please email me.

No comments: