Tuesday, July 15, 2008

OUCH!





I think the last time I needed stitches I was 4 or 5 years old. I was running through the house, fell, and hit my forehead on the corner of a wooden table. I can't even remember how many stitches I got then.

This time things are a little more clear! We had an American delegation here working with Youth Impact. This is the group of teens who have graduated from local orphanages and are in a job training program. Some are seeking further education. In any case we all went to a local riverside for a picnic. The river, or large stream was only knee high so a number of us were wading in the water playing with a volley ball.

The river bed is loaded with rocks and at one point I felt myself step on (what I thought was) a sharp rock. Not thinking much of it I kept playing. About 20 minutes later I got out to find a sizable, deep cut, on the bottom of my foot. Hello! Instead of a rock it must have been a broken piece of glass. Actually it did not hurt, all that much, until I started to squirt some water in the cut to clear out the dirt that was inside. Fortunately there was among us, a licensed RN. When we got back to the office, Sara, the RN, went to work on me. Fortunately we also had a supply of medical equipment on hand.

It wasn't perfect. The Novocaine and stitching material we had is really for dental work, but here you have to go with what you've got.

The stitching was a breeze! However, and that is a "BIG HOWEVER", the Novocaine shots were excruciating. If you have any doubt ask Sara Coggins, my co-worker, who was holding my foot down for the shots. I think her ears are still ringing.

Funny thing is, I have water slippers for just this kind of activity. Guess I won't forget them next time. Anyway, all had a great time at the picnic and the Americans went back home. Thanks Sara for the art work.
In Him,
Ken

1 comment:

Nick said...

aww, ken, that looks painful. Just letting you know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you. The kids and I will pray for you tonight.